Types of Evil tongues – A study of James Chapter 3:1-12
- The hateful tongue – King Ahab hates prophet Micaiah – 1 King 22 : 8
- The licentious tongue – The adulterous woman in Proverbs 7: 10 – 23.
- The boasting tongue – Psalm 12: 3 – 4, James 4: 13 – 16
- The impetus tongue (Overuse tongue) – Ecclesiastes 5:2
- The obscure/double tongue (Yes/No tongue) – They stands for nothing – Creation, Yes/Evolution, Yes, maybe both!) Romans 1:31, James 5:12, Matthew 5:37.
- The critical tongue – Jude verse 10
- The explosive tongue – King David when he was in sin with Bathsheba, wife of Uriah the Hittite and was confronted by Prophet Nathan in 2 Samuel 12: 5 – 6.
- The lying tongue – Proverbs 6:16, 19, Proverbs 25:18.
- The flattering tongue – Psalm 5:9, Psalm 12:2, women singing the praises of David put him into trouble 1 Samuel 18:7-9, Herod – Acts 12:21-23.
- The deceitful tongue – Absalom deceived King David his father to kill Amnon. 2 Sam 13:23-29. If King David can be deceived, you can deceive the Primate, you can deceive the Bishops but you cannot deceive the Holy Spirit – go and ask Ananiah and Sapphira!
- The cursing tongue – Even amongst ministers (Gbogbo awon to puro momi ni HQs) Shimei curses King David. Rom 3:13-14, 2 Samuel 16:5-7, Psalm 109:17.
- The piercing tongue – Proverbs 12:18.
- The backbiting tongue – Proverbs 25:23 – Don’t worry about backbiters, they are always behind you, it is an indication that you are more progressive than them.
- The discouraging tongue – The wife of Job. Job 2:9. Someone told me that she wanted to join JECOB but they told her that she must have N1, 000, 000 to join! That was a lie. With a minimum of N50, 000 a year, you can become a member of JECOB – that is the truth!
- The silent tongue – A wise man once said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. James 4:17, Revelation 21:8.
- Silence false peddler – mention the name of the person who said it.
- A hymn to remember JCLI 353 Stanza 3 – Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from thee.
- Make a resolution – Psalm 39:1.
- Remember – you live by your tongue and you die by your tongue. Proverbs 18:21.
- A warning to take away – Matthew 12: 34 – 37.
- A prayer to pray – Psalm 141:3.
PART 2 Wisdom Distinguished - James 3:13 – 18
- Wisdom of this world and the wisdom of God – 1 Corinthians 2:6-8, Philosophers – Colossians 2:8
- Godly/heavenly wisdom is seen in James 3 verses 13, 17 & 18
- Ungodly/earthly/sensual and devilish wisdom is seen in James 3 verses 14,15,16
Heavenly wisdom – James 3:13, 17, 18
- Pure– It is clean and does not come from selfish ambition (No self-promotion, no ulterior motives).
- Meek & peaceable – Godly wisdom makes a man to be gentle and humble. People with such wisdom bring people closer together and nearer to God. Everyone has their shortcomings. We have our strengths and weaknesses. There is a Saul of Tarsus and Paul the Apostle in everyone. Promote the strengths of others.
- Gentle & friendly – Such wisdom is fair and kind. It does not arrogantly put others to shame. A person with godly wisdom is approachable and willing to listen to the view points of others whilst protecting the church from error.
- Easy to be entreated – Not someone who is not going to listen to any apology except the pastor is removed.
- Full of mercy (Compassion) – Someone with godly wisdom teaches messages of hope and encouragement to the weak and feeble-minded. Such person is also firm to rebuke and correct.
- Partiality is excluded – A person with heavenly wisdom will not take away the judgment from the poor. The wisdom of God is not biased; someone with God’s wisdom will not favour one person above another. James 2:1; Exodus 23:3
- Prejudice and Hypocrisy are eliminated – Someone with the wisdom of God will not be double-minded, duplicity, two-facedness (You preach love in Church but you hate your wife with passion, you dance with her in the church but you beat her at home and she must not report you, you threaten her. On the other hand, it may be the woman that will sing lovely songs in the church and sing but there is no respect for the husband. No “Thank you” for whatever the man does for them.)
- Godly wisdom is demonstrates in goods work and life of humility – Prefer to help others rather than to live in excessive comfort, giving to charitable deeds and does his/her things without expecting public announcement.
- Glory Not – Godly wisdom does not boast. “Since the branch was founded, my family’s thanksgiving money is the highest – no family ever beats us. I am just telling you in confidence!)”; “When we are talking you people should keep quiet!”; “I can do better than that preacher, singer, etc). The only allowance giving for children of God to boast is in the LORD. Jeremiah 9:23-24. Boast that the Way is getting clearer to you. “Omo Olorun ni eto, lati mabusayo…” JCLI Hymn 16.
- Bears good fruits – Godly wisdom will make you bear good fruits: Galatians 5:22-23
Earthly/worldly wisdom – James 3: 14,15,16
It is the opposite of everything above plus:
- Bitter envy (Jealousy) – people with earthly wisdom will envy your progress, they will do everything to put you down. They will bite you at the back (Backbiters) and condemn your good deeds (If you give money to the church, they will say it is show-off)
- Strife – Ungodly wisdom causes people to be excited when they have opportunity to fight (They fight on wedding day, Burial ceremony, Naming ceremony, Harvest Thanksgiving), they will quickly put their Bible down and remove their white garment – I will show you who I am. If they belong to groups where children of God are gathered, they will not contribute unless they have opportunity to scatter the group.
- Selfishness – Ungodly wisdom makes a person selfish. They always want to be the centre of attraction. They will want to do what they have no training, capacity and capability to do just so they are in the forefront!
- Confusion – If they are not made the leader, they will always cause confusion. They will mislead you with their presumptuousness, false dreams, etc.
- Every evil work – People that lacks godly wisdom causes quarrel, he/she is the one who stole the church money. Who committed fornication/adultery, who backbites against others, who was behind the 419 in the church, etc. He/she is involved in every evil work.
- Lie against the truth – He /she is into all forms of evil but will be the first to say, “I am a member of Jerusalem church”, “I am born again”, “Omo Iya-Ewe nimi”, they will even claim that they are “Omo Baba” – indeed so they are by name but not by nature! – They will smoke cigarette, India Hemp and are deep into fornication but they will claim they are the future of Jerusalem – that is lying against the truth because the future of our church belongs to the youths that walk in the way of God. John 8: 39 – 44.
- Everything they do will appeal to the flesh – They are sensual and having not the spirit of God. The videos they will send you, the website links they will share, the jokes they will share all pointing to flesh and aggravating the base passion of man.
- Disorderliness and separate chief friends – People with worldly wisdom will create untrue stories to cause disorderliness and break friends. “They are saying this about you”, “Have you not heard?”, “Did you not hear?”, “Have you not been told?”, “Won wipe, won sope” – Don’t forget to ask them to mention the speaker’s name and if they are unable, they are lying.
- Source is from demons – They may claim the Holy Spirit is speaking through them but if they exhibit the attributes above, it is the demon that is feeding and directing them and not the Holy Ghost.
- Wisdom of the world jeopardizes the unity of the body of Christ – They will introduce politics to the church and scatter everything. Instead of allowing the Holy Spirit to guide His church, they will bring campaign, they will bring election and they will bring the world right into the church with all its attendance confusion and destruction.
Example of Earthly wisdom – Absalom – 2 Samuel 15:1-6
- Ran away after killing Amnon who raped his sister called Tamar 2 Samuel 13
- Reconciled back to King David. 2 Samuel 14
- Brought politics into the kingdom 2 Samuel 15:1-6
- Ousted King David from the throne. The king went into exile. 2 Samuel 15:13-16
- He died by the hand of God – 2 Samuel 18:9,14-15
Worldly wisdom manifest in these orders:
- Evil is committed
- Cunningly seek reconciliation
- Introduce politics
- Resist authority and
- They die untimely!
Example of Heavenly wisdom – Joseph – Genesis 41
- Had a dream from God but as a child, he could not handle the dream in a matured manner. Genesis 37
- Was hated and sold into slavery by his brethren – Genesis 37
- Withstood temptation to sin with Mrs. Potiphar – Genesis 39
- Was wrongly imprisoned and jailed but in prison God was with him. Genesis 39
- Interpreted the dreams of the baker and the butler but the butler forgot about him after his release. Genesis 40.
- An event brought him to remembrance in the palace of Pharaoh – I remember my fault this day! Genesis 41:9
- Genesis 41:14 – Well groomed before the king – God’s wisdom
- Genesis 41:15 – Opportunity to boast opened to Joseph but he applied God’s wisdom
- Genesis 41:16 – God’s wisdom demonstrated in Joseph’s Answer – “It is not in me but GOD”
- Joseph is elevated – Genesis 41: 37 – 44.
Godly wisdom is manifested in these orders:
- A vision is given from God
- Jealousy and hatred arose from relatives and even family members
- Ability to defeat temptations from Satan
- May have his/her judgment taken away
- God continue to show Himself in whatever condition the person finds himself and
- He/she is finally elevated and promoted!
Culled from Bishop Roland Ayeni Global Bible Studies on 22 April 2020 and 29 April 2020